Chief Executive Officer
This is a great industry with a big heart. I love working with our credit unions—getting together twice a year, bringing new ideas to the group, visiting our owners. I also enjoy meeting other credit unions execs who are excited about joining MDC.
- Joined MDC as CEO in 2007
- 25 years in the credit union industry
- Past President and COO of CommunityAmerica CUSO One
- Worked for other credit unions as VP/Comptroller, EVP Finance and Technology, EVP Retail and Strategic Services, and CEO
- Started my career as a CPA at KPMG Peat Marwick
- Part of the first class of the CUES CEO Institute, and the inaugural class of Filene Research Institute’s i3 program
- Served on the boards of Member Gateways and CU Realty, LLC
- BS in Accounting from University of Missouri—Kansas City (UMKC)
- CPA licensed in Missouri
- “I greatly enjoy time with my wife and family, which cannot happen often enough. I love working out at the gym because I also love cooking on our smoker (brisket, ribs and steaks), a glass of good bourbon, and California wines.”
Senior Vice President of Operations
I enjoy working with all the great MDC credit unions and gazing forward to where the ever-changing financial industry is headed, but delivering solutions that help our owners members is the best part of this job.
- Joined MDC in 2013 as the director of finance, promoted to Sr. VP of operations in 2019.
- Currently oversees several of MDC’s strategic initiatives, including our series of free automation workshops (36 delivered in 2019)
- Concurrently serves as Interim CEO of CU NextGen, a new CUSO founded by MDC offering solutions grounded in the next-generation technologies of automation, artificial intelligence, and machine learning to credit unions throughout the industry
- Leads MDC’s NextUP program, helping train the industry’s next generation of leaders in innovation and product development
- Also responsible for managing MDC’s external audit, annual budget, investing, and quarterly financials
- Brings a successful track record in finance, project management, operations and marketing, resulting in significant contributions to business growth across multiple industries
- Was Director of Operations at GoldenComm, an internet technology company
- BSBA from Northern Arizona University
- “In most of my free time you’ll find me being active with his friends and family, especially on the pickleball court or on the water, whether it’s ice fishing in winter or wake surfing in the summer.”
Vice President, Owner Engagement
Every day I get to work on new ideas…no two days are ever the same. I get a lot of energy by working on big projects, talking to interesting people, and doing something valuable for our credit unions every day.
- Board Chair for Firefly Credit Union in Minneapolis/St Paul ($1.2 billion in assets)
- Joined MDC in 2005 after working for two years as a corporate project manager for CUNA Mutual Group
- Before that, spent eight years in product development in the telecom industry, focused on really cool stuff like email, VoIP, and Unified Messaging (hey…it was the 90’s)
- Worked in the Chicago office of KPMG Peat Marwick
- BS from Illinois State University
- MBA from University of Wisconsin–Madison (GO BADGERS!)
- “I love riding my motorcycle, playing tennis with my husband, and gardening. I more recently took up golf, which is super fun—and the outfits are a blast. I also read a ton of books.”
Director of Corporate Partnerships
I’m excited to combine my love of credit unions, my interest in innovation, and my enthusiasm for creating meaningful connections. Having the opportunity to be closely involved with forward-thinking organizations collaborating to create positive disruption and robust momentum in the industry is both energizing and inspiring.
- Joined MDC in 2019 as Director of Corporate Partnerships
- Decades of experience in the credit union industry holding leadership positions across sales, marketing, lending, product management, insurance, and business development
- Frequent flyer can be used literally and figuratively for Kristen as her employment history includes working for Southwest Airlines
- Educated in America’s heartland, holding an MBA from the University of Saint Mary
- No matter if she’s on a plane for business or vacation—or jumping out of one for fun—she enjoys living life to the fullest
- Being active in both body and mind, she will try just about anything once
- “When I’m away from work, you can usually find me outside hiking, biking, or whitewater kayaking. If you do catch me inside, I’ll be euphorically experimenting in the kitchen with a glass of wine in hand, singing out loud, and having a solo dance party!”
Michael El Koubi
Marketing and Communications Manager
Coming from a background of public service, I am very excited about the work MDC does for our owner credit unions and the members they serve. It's never been more clear to me how important the cooperative financial industry is, and I couldn't be happier to be a part of it.
- Joined MDC in February 2018
- Responsible for all MDC marketing and PR work, including owner-facing communications
- Administers MDC’s owner portal, delivering access to all of MDC’s work to our owners 24/7, 365
- Brings several years of communications and project management experience to MDC, including helping large state government agencies implement aggressive reform agendas
- Served in the United State Peace Corps in Bulgaria from 2005-2007
- Graduated from LSU’s MBA program in 2016 and also holds a BA from LSU in History and German
- “I love exploring nature’s wild places, and I am well on my way to visiting all of America’s 59 national parks (23 down, 39 to go!). I’ve also kayaked most of the Mississippi River below Memphis, paddling by day and camping on the River’s banks of islands by night. When not on or planning an adventure, I enjoy spending time with my family, cooking up something Cajun in the kitchen, or playing a hot summer game of adult kickball with a cold daiquiri in the dugout.”
My first meeting with MDC was in Montreal (August ’08) and I was amazed at what I learned about the Credit Union industry. After all these years, I look forward to each meeting, not only to plan another event, but to see those familiar faces and to meet all of the new faces of this fun MDC family!
- Recruited to plan meetings for MDC by Sarah in 2007
- Hired full time in 2019 (finally!) after supporting MDC for several years as a contractor in 2019, making me both one of the oldest and newest MDC staffers.
- Began her event planning career in college (graphic design) while was working at a steakhouse with a PARTY ROOM
- Started her own business in event planning in 2002
- In addition to corporate meeting planning, Megan has developed events for businesses across several industries, including hotels, golf courses, restaurants, travel, etc.
- “I was always planning something growing up, whether it was a Kid Club Meeting, a birthday party, or a sleepover… topping my teenage years off with Prom Planning Committee both Junior & Senior years… so I think I was destined to be an event planner!”
- “I love playing volleyball, reading, drinking wine (sometimes at the same time!), and planning anything I can get my hands on!”