CEO, Coastal Federal Credit Union
MDC Board Chairman
MDC is focused on contemporary topics that are front and center for us. It's a no-brainer for me.
- President and CEO of Coastal Federal Credit Union (based in North Carolina, with 208,000 members, and $2.3 billion in assets)
- Chair of the MDC Board
- I hold NASD Series 7, 24 and 63 securities licenses
- I was the former Chair of the National Credit Union Foundation (NCUF) and was a member of the board from 1995 to 2007
- I serve on the Board of uGenius CUSO, LLC, a joint venture of Coastal and outside partners to develop and commercialize video banking technology
- From 1992 to 2000, member of the senior management team of U.S. Central Credit Union in Overland Park, KS
- Served as chief operating officer of First Carolina Corporate Credit Union
- Served in various capacities with the North Carolina Credit Union Network including chief operating officer of the league service corporation and chief financial officer
- Holds designations of Certified League Executive, Certified Chief Executive, and Credit Union Development Educator
- BS in economics and business administration from the University of North Carolina–Greensboro
- Love riding jet skis on a lake at 75 mph, and wakeboarding with my two sons
- Personal goal is to retire at the lake with lots of grandkids we can spoil and send home. We have one now and he is awesome
- My wife and my two sons are my super heroes
- I enjoy networking with other innovative credit unions, and value the opportunity to learn from other organizations that MDC brings to our meetings
President/CEO, American Airlines Federal Credit Union
MDC Board Vice Chairman
The work MDC does creates a great environment for lively debates around what research is telling us and actions to take.
- President and CEO of American Airlines Credit Union since 2008
- Prior to joining AA Credit Union in 2002, I was managing director of corporate accounting at American Airlines and managing director of investor relations for The Sabre Group (Sabre)
- Prior to joining American Airlines in 1992, I was an audit manager at the public accounting firm of Ernst & Young
- Vice Chair of the MDC Board
- CPA Certified
- MBA in finance from the University of Texas at Arlington
- BSBA in accounting from Oklahoma State University
- I love to travel (probably a no brainer since I work for American Airlines:)) and cook
- Favorite story about Halloween and public accounting…I haven’t been in costume for several years, but I attended one Halloween party years ago as the wicked witch. The face makeup was easy to get off, but I dyed my hair purple with a ‘wash out’ color. I worked in public accounting at the time (think stuffy, conservative, etc.) and had to go to work, at clients’ offices, for three weeks with purple hair – the partners did not find it funny:)
- The speakers that MDC brings to the meetings are individuals my credit union could not afford on our own and are always thought provoking. The networking opportunities are great too!
Executive Vice President, Baxter Credit Union
MDC Board Secretary/Treasurer
Thought leadership—we always have an opportunity to learn as MDC brings in thought leaders from inside and outside of the industry.
- EVP of BCU, a $2.4 billion, 205,000 member credit union primarily serving Fortune 500 companies
- Secretary/Treasurer of the MDC Board
- Started career at Northern Trust Bank in Chicago in Trust/Money Management
- Credit Union career spans almost 30 years with executive roles at natural person credit unions, wholesale credit unions, and credit union service organizations
- Have served on over a dozen credit union and community boards and committees during my career
- BS in Finance from Kelley School of Business at Indiana University
- CFA Charter Holder
- Hold series 7, 24 and 63 securities licenses
- I am a high school football junkie (my wife doesn’t make plans on fall weekends—I pay for that the rest of the year)
- I took up skiing when I turned 50—I am hooked now and hoping that MDC moves the winter meeting to the slopes!
- Personal goals—Meet the pope, build a timber frame home in the mountains, see my three children profoundly satisfied in their chosen occupations
President and CEO
MDC is highly collaborative and innovative, fostering thought-provoking and stimulating ideas.
- President/CEO of Corporate One
- I served for more than a decade as the CEO of Day Air and Telhio credit unions
- I began my 30-year credit union career at Wright Patt Credit Union as a management trainee, progressing to a vice president position
- I serve on the board of the National Credit Union Foundation, the Ohio Credit Union Foundation, the board of Primary Financial Company LLC, and the executive committee of the Association of Corporate Credit Unions
- I serve as chairman of Member Business Solutions LLC, the wholly owned CUSO of Corporate One, as well as on the board of eDOC Innovations
- I serve on the CUNA GAC Committee
- Recipient of the CUES Golden Mirror Award for Service
- CEO of the Year by the readers of Credit Union Times in 1995
- BS in finance from Miami University
- MBA from Wright State University
- When I have the opportunity for downtime from my day job, you’ll find me doing my favorite things (as a traveler, fisherman, and wine enthusiast) with my favorite people (wife Marla, and two grown children)
- I appreciate that MDC focuses on offering financial institutions great learning opportunities and valuable solutions; I respect MDC’s vision of being a problem-solver for credit unions, and not just another vendor
I really enjoy being exposed to ongoing research that will help us serve our members better and meeting other like-minded CUs.
- President with Farmers Insurance Group Federal Credit Union (based in California, with 49,000 members, and $695 million in assets)
- Previously in public accounting for 10 years, working exclusively with credit unions at a variety of firms
- Chairman of the Management Committee (Board) of Community Mortgage Funding, LLC
- Board member of Extensia, LLC
- Member of Filene’s i3 group from 2006 until 2008
- CPA (inactive) and CGMA
- I love to read, and I love everything fashion! Online shopping was a great invention!
- One of my goals is to see my kids find jobs they are passionate about and are successful in doing
Community First Credit Union of Florida
I am very energized by working with smart, innovative people who want to see credit unions compete at a high level.
- CEO of Community First Credit Union of Florida (112,000 members and $1.35 billion in assets) since 1996
- Spent my entire career in the credit union industry, including six years as president and CEO of Cal State 9 Credit Union in Berkeley, CA
- BS in Finance from the University of Colorado (Boulder)
- MBA from Virginia Polytechnic Institute
- CFA Charter Holder
- I am very active in the community and have served on numerous boards, including: Alliance for World Class Education; Florida Credit Union Shared Services; League of Southeastern Credit Unions; the Jacksonville Chamber Board of Directors; Florida Community College Foundation; The Cypress Group; Jacksonville Community Council, Inc.; and WJCT
- I currently serve on the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta’s Jacksonville Branch Board
- I live in Avondale, FL and have four children
- For fun I love to fly airplanes and row crew
- Personal goal is to climb Mount Aconcagua in Argentina
Suncoast Credit Union
I have enjoyed leading various credit union initiatives for the past 31 years and am energized by continuing my mission with MDC.
- CEO at Suncoast Credit Union, Florida’s largest credit union with more than $8 billion in assets and over 700,00 members throughout the west coast of Florida.
- I am an advocate for the credit union difference: I serve on the Boards of the League of Southeastern Credit Unions, Southeastern Credit Union Foundation, Hillsborough Education Foundation as well as the Cuna Payments Subcommittee.
- University of Tampa alum: I earned my bachelor’s degree in business management and also hold CUNA’s certified credit union executive designation.
- When I am not dedicating my time to helping members save more for life, I can be found fishing, hiking and traveling the world.
Paul A. Marsh
President and CEO
Teachers Credit Union (TCU)
I enjoy getting a collaborative perspective on credit unions and our must-knows.
- President and CEO of Teachers Credit Union, Indiana’s largest credit union with 275,000 members and $2.6 billion in assets
- Began my career at TCU in 1998 holding positions in accounting, audit, finance, and Senior Vice President of Marketing and Sales before becoming President and CEO in June 2011
- I serve on the Northern Indiana Workforce Board of Directors, the Penn Harris Madison Education Foundation Board, Goodwill Industries Board, the Logan Foundation Board and the WNIT Public Television Board of Directors
- BS from Indiana University in 1990 with a double major in Accounting and Management, a minor in Economics
- CPA Certified
Interra Credit Union
I enjoy networking with other credit unions and being involved in projects that help our members.
- CEO at Interra Credit Union (based in Indiana with 62,000 members and $706 million in assets) since November 2013
- I have more than 26 years of experience in the credit union industry—most recently I was SVP and CFO at Teachers Credit Union in South Bend
- I served on the ALM advisory board for Sendero, a Fiserv company
- Board member and instrumental in the development of the Purchase One card, which has returned more than $5 million back to participating credit unions
- Involved with Callahan & Associates
- Master’s degree from The University of Notre Dame
- BS in finance and communications from Indiana University—Bloomington
- I completed a variety of professional development programs, including the Advanced Leadership Institute at the Harvard Executive MBA School
- I love to read, cook, golf, hike, hang at the beach. My personal goal is to write a book
Senior Vice president of Planning and Business Finance
CUNA Mutual Group
As one of the newer board members, I enjoy learning more and digging deeper into MDC's initiatives.
- I am responsible for the development of business strategy for my organization
- I enjoy strengthening competitive insights for the business and ensuring marketplace and economic trends are addressed in our strategic plans
- I have been with CUNA Mutual Group since 1990
- Bachelor’s Degree in Administration and Accounting from University of Wisconsin- Madision
- CPA Certified